Saturday, September 25, 2021

Ballet Classes Today

I attended two hours of ballet classes today. Yikes, this was a lot for this 'vintage' woman. And, it was on the heels of a ballet class I took on Friday. I'm so tired now.

The classes today were Basic Ballet followed by Ballet I/II. The leap (no pun intended) from Basic Ballet to Ballet I/II is a big one for me. One has to know many more ballet terms, arm positions, combinations of steps and technique. I felt pushed to keep up with the class. One fellow students is a contemporary of mine. She told me she was challenged by the I/II class also. Whew! I am not alone. 

Most everyone in class is in the same boat, except for two women who danced when they were children. I don't feel so bad because nearly everyone was struggling today. 

It is quite difficult learning ballet an an adult, as anyone will tell you. I didn't start dancing until I was well into my 'vintage' years. And, I am not patient, so I expect to be able to perform moves that probably take a while to learn. I need to remember that this is (1) great exercise, (2) good for the brain and health and (3) makes me feel good! What's not to like? 

My ballet instructor is wonderful. Today, she was doing hand claps so we could understand the beats in the music. I nearly laughed aloud because she was like a Russian ballet mistress; all she was missing was the stick to pound on the floor. 


Karen O'
Karen O'

Hi there, my name is Karen. I LOVE to dance, especially doing ballet. Thanks for visiting Red Shoes.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, very long hours you have put in Karen. I know you are so determined and I am in awe of you. Kudos to you for following your dreams. I have great respect for you my talented friend. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Linda! You are so kind and supportive, as always! Means so much to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, I just read about you on Linda's blog. I am a retired ballet dancer, and I admire your motivation for your goal in dancing ballet! Keep with it, you will love it. My ballet master had a couple of sayings which I still remember: "Ballet will keep you young and make you old all at the same time". And this one: "You miss one class and you notice it. You miss two and your audience notices it." Best wishes for you #redshoesgoals

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Rita! I'm so impressed that anyone could be a retired ballet dancer. I love the quotes from your ballet master. Last Saturday, my ballet mistress said, "Every time you come to class you are starting from the ground floor." Really? I am really enjoying the ballet path I am on. Thank you for your support and for visiting my blog. I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete